FaceTime On Windows and Mac
We can’t all stay with our family and friends all the time (especially now!), But that doesn’t mean you can’t “see” them. As long as your family and friends have an Apple device that can use the FaceTime app and you can access it via video, the functionality is explained below.
The best of FaceTime is completely free. FaceTime for Windows calls is free because they use Wi-Fi or cellular data (instead of cellular minutes). This means that even if you offer FaceTiming to someone on your iPhone who is not at home and is not connected to Wi-Fi, they do not have to pay for the call (as long as they have enough data in their contract). Connection data is only required for the duration of the call.
Are you interrupting a video call? You don’t have to worry about looking better when you make or receive a FaceTime for Windows call because you can use FaceTime Audio and make an audio call. The advantage here is that the audio is much clearer than a typical cell phone call. (This is slightly different from making and receiving phone calls on your Mac. Here’s how: Make a call from a Mac.)
FaceTime for Windows
FaceTime for Windows provides you a convenient option of audio and video calling from your computer or laptop. FaceTime for Windows has been one of the most trusted options for video calling.
The clarity provided in the video calling by FaceTime for Windows application has been tremendous. FaceTime for Windows also makes sure that the data stored in its system is extremely secure and user-friendly.
FaceTime for Windows never shares the data with third party without your consent.
However, FaceTime does have a few drawbacks. You can only use FaceTime to call someone with a FaceTime-compatible Mac or iOS device (for example, iPhone 4 or higher with iOS 4.1 or higher, iPod touch with iOS 4.1 or higher, iPad 2 or higher) or) Mac with OS X 10.9.2 or higher). These are some Apple devices, so you’re likely to be safe. However, if the other party does not have an Apple device, they will need to use Skype or another alternative to make a video call.
The person you are calling must also be signed in to FaceTime. If you are using a Mac, FaceTime must be open. FaceTime does not have to be open on an iPhone or iPad to receive a call. Learn how to make FaceTime calls on the iPhone and iPad here.
Most Macs are equipped for FaceTime calls. You need:
- You and the recipient must be connected to the Internet. You need an upstream and downstream Internet connection with 128 Kbit / s or more. If you want to make HD video calls, you need an internet connection with 1 Mbit / s up and down.
- Both require an integrated or connected camera. If you want to make HD video calls, you need a built-in FaceTime HD camera. Most Macs are equipped with a FaceTime camera. However, if you have a Mac mini or Mac Pro, you may need to invest in a separate webcam.
FaceTime for Windows is extremely easy to download and install. You just need to follow some very simple steps to install this application in your system.
You need a connected FaceTime for Windows microphone. There is probably one built into your Apple device. Alternatively, you can connect a headphone to a microphone as it comes with the iPhone.
It’s easy to make a FaceTime call from Mac to someone else’s Mac, iPhone, or iPad by doing the following:
- Both must be registered on FaceTime.
- You should also make sure they both have a good internet connection (see details above).
- Ironically, you may have to call them on your cell phone or landline before calling FaceTime or schedule a call in advance, especially if you’re not used to technology.
- The method of dialing someone on your Mac is the same as answering the call on your iPad or iPhone.